Monday, October 20, 2008

Marathon Day

Yesterday was Marathon Day- let me first say that yes I finished, and yes I had fun, and yes I will do another marathon!

The day started early at 5:00 am when my alarm went off and I got dressed in the pre-dawn, just as I had many, many times before as we had prepared for training runs. I ate my peanut butter toast and gatorade and headed downtown to meet up with my MIT team- we had a hotel conference room to stretch, and stay warm until the start. It was quite chilly at the start yesterday (around 40 degrees I think).

When it was time we walked to the very crowded start line- Christi and I went to the back (our usual postion) so it took us about 5 minutes or so to get to the actual start line. And we were off!

The first 13 miles seemed like they flew by to me, I ran much of it on my own since Christi was behind me. I did do the rookie mistake of starting too fast, so the second 13 miles were tougher. I really felt pretty good until about mile 22- and then it was harder, not to mention this was the most "icky" part of the race- through a not so very nice neighboorhood. But my friend Shannon (who had run her own half) met me at mile 23 and ran the last 3 miles with me.

As I got close to mile 26 Julie (another friend and coach) met me and ran me up the last hill. Jeff was waiting at the top of the hill for me, and when I saw him I lost it, total uncontrolable sobbing- but he ran down to the almost finish line with me and said to put my hands up and smile! So I did.

Mom, Daddy, Holly, Billy and Peyton were waiting for me at the finish line with flowers! And I got a big hug from Peyton and a "good job on your running Auntie Heather".

I wore my medal proudly all day yesterday! I feel pretty good, my legs are sore, but they are supposed to be! I'm so proud to be a marathoner!! I will definitly do another marathon (next fall in fact). I never ever could have done it without my running friends and MIT!!

Congratulations to Shannon- who PRed her half. And to Christi and Kristen- my fellow Marathon finishers.

Also 4 of my friends PRed today- 1 in Columbus and 3 in Detroit. Congratulations Nicole, Terri, Amy and Vince!! You guys ROCK!!

4 comments:

Staci said...

WHOO HOO!

Katie said...

congratulations!!! make sure you post pictures :)

Dawn said...

Hi Heather!
Congratulation on your marathon! What an accomplishment. We are so proud of you. Looking forward to keeping in touch through blogs. :)

ParksLady said...

You rock, FEATHER! So, so proud of you. You're inspiring me to try to train for one now!

Hope the legs are feeling a bit more normal today.

Love ya!