Saturday, October 11, 2008

The End of Training and Ode to Friends

Today we ran our last training run of the season, a short little run of 8 miles (yes I did utter the words only 8 miles) truly it's a matter of perspective. So that brings our training for the marathon offically to an end. Can't believe it's really true but it is the finish line we've been pushing towards since May is a mere one week away.

Thursday night we had our MIT banquet- oh so much fun, I love, love, love being with these friends turned family- I love the quote (unknown to me) that says Friends are the family we chose for ourselves. I could not have chosen any better. I’m so blessed to have not only a great biological family but also great friends that are like family to me!

So on to the ode to friends:

(in no particular order):

Hannah- Thanks for asking me to join in with the midweek running- it’s made all the difference in my running this season. And you are always a joy, encouraging and supportive to all of us. Thanks for being the best cheerleader ever!

Kristen- My full marathon bud- you “forced” me to do things I would never have done on my own- Highbanks hills, speedwork and more Highbanks hills! :) You are such an incredible source of information and knowledge too- always seeking those answers and then generously sharing them with the rest of us. You my friend have found new strength this season and it shows! Oh and thanks for getting my shot blocks open on each and every run!

Shannon- Thanks for always being supportive of all of us and running some extra miles sometimes just to support us! Thanks for sharing your been there done that marathon knowledge with all of us!

Christi- My other full marathon training friend- thanks for always being willing to meet wherever and whenever and run with me. Especially when you could have been sleeping!! Thanks for sharing your shot blocks with me too when I didn’t have time to go buy any. I’m impressed with your dedication you not only ran a half marathon this summer but now you’re going to tackle a full as well.

Pat- Thanks for getting us BOPers up and out early so we could finish those long runs earlier in the day. Good luck in San Fran- have fun and run well.

Not a running friend but- Cathie- My BFF for 18 plus years now- always supportive, always asking about how the running is going. Thanks for your love and encouragement!

And last but not least my “long distance” (in miles but not in my heart!) running friend Staci (aka Diva)- You my friend are my running hero, and my hero an inspiration for some weight training. You rock!

Well that’s the end of training for this season and now it’s on to the Marathon- wow I never in a million years thought I’d be a marathoner- that was for crazy people, or for “real” runners- I guess I’m a real runner now.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey there HB,
So good to see you today after your "only 8 mile" run! We are so proud of you! Emily has even talked to us about being a runner - see the awesome impression your training and running has been to even your youngest fans.
Your story is a great one with a happy ending in sight :) :) You know how I love a Disney ending :)
Many cheers to you and all your marathon buddies on the 19th!
Cathie & Crew

Staci said...

You were a real runner long ago, my dear. Now you're just officially crazy :) Welcome to the club!

Anonymous said...

You are welcome. You did great!