20 miles in the rain (well at least the first hour and a half anyway), was not quite what I had expected for today. But oh well, the weather is what the weather is and there is no way to predict or change it- so go with it you must.
I met the BOP (Back of the Packers) at 6:00 am and we were off- what started out as light drizzle quickly changed to an all out downpour complete with lightening, once we decided that the lightening probably wouldn't kill us we pressed on. Running through puddles up to our ankles in some points did not make for a comfortable run at all, wet feet SUCK no matter how you slice it.
The miles that were the hardest for me both mentally and physically were the last 5- up until then I felt pretty good (relatively speaking),but those last 5 were killers. Not helped by the fact that the last two water stops (Como and Henderson Road for locals) were out of water and gatorade-UGH. No ones fault really, just a humid day and that's how it goes sometimes.
But I made it through- and according to anyone I asked they have assured me that the 20 miles is a good indication that you can make it through the marathon! So only ONE more long run (22 miles in two weeks) before Marathon day, I can't believe it's almost here.
Thanks to all my friends there at the back of the pack, who have supported me this whole journey- good run or bad they have been right there to lend a helping hand or a gentle nudge to get through those last few miles. You all ROCK!!
After the run I did have lunch with my parents and sister, BIL and nephew and now I'm going to drink some more water and have a nap.
Have a great weekend all and GO BUCKS!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
You go girl! I am so impressed with the dedication you have shown to your training (I, on the other hand *think* about training, don't, and then just try to cram some miles in on the weekend - your way is better!). You are going to ROCK your marathon.
You've already nailed the most important aspect of running, in my opinion....you ENJOY it. It sucks to get up early, it sucks to run in the rain, it sucks to run so long and so far that your feet are numb and sore, and it sucks to hurt. But it's GREAT to run.
I'm proud of you.
Ahh thanks Staci! I appreciate your encouragement! :)
I got such a good laugh when I read your statement "once we decided that lightning wouldn't kill us we pressed on"...actually it can. A runner's mind works in such mysterious ways.
Post a Comment