Tomorrow is National Running Day! Wow a whole day dedicated to one of the great passions in my life.
Now as a child, young adult, and adult well into my thirties I was not remotely athletic, I hated gym class, so much so that I took summer gym to avoid it in High School. I can vividly remember in HS having to be able to run a mile in 15 minutes or something like that. Believe me that was the LAST thing I wanted to do, so it's amazing to me now how much I love running.
I also remember getting started with running- a program called Couch to 5K, I had decided that I wanted to challenge myself and a friend suggested this program to me. I remember that first walk/run I ever did- how hard it was and how I was sure that I was never going to make it even one mile. Suprise of all suprises I did make it, ran my first 5K and I was off so to speak.
In 2006 I trained for and ran my very first half marathon and from then on I was hooked. Now running isn't just something I do- it's a huge part of who I am. Running has become a way to soothe stress, ease a broken heart, spend time alone or with others and just to stay fit and active. Now I am not breaking any land speed records out there, but I'm out there doing it.
I have gained invaluable friendships through my running, and have had the privelage of cheering on others as they have started running.
So tomorrow in celebration of the abilty I have to run, I will be enjoying a run. And for those of my fellow runners out there- Celebrate tomorrow- celebrate YOU! Whether you have completed a 5K , 10K half or full marathon or many of the above- you are runners, some of the most wonderful people on the planet. I'm blessed to count myself am0ng you!
Happy National Running Day!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I am so proud of you for doing something that you were once fearful of and that it has become such an important part of your life! You motivate me to keep an open mind about running Heather! Mwah!
Post a Comment